Crawfish and Grits (serves 8)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 cup diced celery, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper
- 1 andouille (Cajun) sausage link
- 1 lb. crawfish tail meat
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 of a
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- couple of dashes of Tabasco
- 10 T butter cut into chunks
- I cup of uncooked, stone ground grits cooked according to package directions Salt and pepper to taste
Cut sausage into half moon pieces and sauté over low heat with olive oil and all veggies. Once veggies are soft (about 10-15 minutes) add thyme, Worcestershire, red pepper, salt, and pepper.
Add crawfish and sauté until just cooked through. This will take about 3-5 minutes. Finish sauce by whisking in cold chunks of butter. Add lemon juice and check seasonings. Add Tabasco if you want a little kick!
To Make the Grit Cakes:
Cook grits according to package directions. I like to cook them in chicken broth. Allow to set up in a casserole. You want grits to be about 1/2 to 1 inch in thickness in depth in the casserole. Allow to cool in refrigerator over night. Cut grits into desired shape (I like triangles), dry both sides with a paper towel and dust with flour. Sauté over medium high heat until golden on each side.
Place grit cakes in the bottom of a shallow bowl. Top with crawfish and enjoy!!!!